The code style we follow in the EasyBuild code repository is mainly dictated by the Python standard PEP8.
Highlighted PEP8 code style rules:
- use 4 spaces for indentation, do not use tabs
- for example, use
:set tabstop 4and
:set expandtabin Vim
- indent items in a list at an extra 4 spaces
- nested lists can be indented at the same indentation as the first item in the list if it is on the first line, closing brackets must match visual indentation
- use optional underscores, not camelCase, for variable, function and method names (i.e.
InitialCapsfor class names
- in docstrings, don’t use “action words”
The only (major) exception to PEP8 is our preference for longer line lengths: line lengths must be limited to 120 characters, and should by preference be shorter than 100 characters (as opposed to the 80-character limit in PEP8).
- Style guides that go a step beyond PEP8:
Automatic rewriting of Python code: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/PythonTidy/1.22
pep8 might be a useful tool to check PEP8 compliance: https://github.com/jcrocholl/pep8